If you're considering adopting a new furry friend but can't decide between a puppy or a kitten, our team of Sweetwater Veterinary Clinic vets can offer valuable insights on the benefits of raising them together. We believe that bringing up puppies and kittens together can be an excellent idea.
About Raising Puppies & Kittens Together
Getting a new pet can be an exciting experience, but bringing home two furry companions at once can be daunting. However, there are many advantages to raising a puppy and a kitten together.
If appropriately introduced at a young age, dogs and cats can learn to coexist without developing fear or aggression toward each other. While there may be exceptions depending on the breed, in most cases, puppies and kittens make great companions for each other.
Our Sweetwater Veterinary Clinic vets will explain why raising them both at the same time can be good for your pets.
Are They A Good Match?
Puppies and Kittens are generally a good match for each other for several different reasons including:
- Personal Hygiene- You will notice that your puppy and kitten will start to clean each other, this is just them telling each other that it is time for a cleaning.
- Keep Each other Company- When you have to leave the house your pet misses you. Having a puppy and a kitten at home together gives them someone to spend time with on those days when they are all alone.
- Outside "Buddies"- Kittens are not always outdoor pets but can be a play friend for your puppy as they learn to go outside. You can put both your kitten and puppy on a leash and take them outside for playtime.
- Sleep- Sleeping in a new place can be very scary but then you have your new kitten and puppy they can cuddle together when they want to sleep.
- Potty Training- If you are raising a puppy and kitten together, they can be potty trained together and will be able to learn from each other.
- House Rules- As you are teaching your dog not to jump on the furniture or stay in a certain area of the house, you can teach all your pets the same rules. This also makes it easier on your puppy because they are not being disciplined when the kitten is not.
Can They Become Best Friends?
If you raise a puppy and a kitten together, they will likely form a strong bond and become lifelong friends. This is because they grow up together and are there for each other.
It can also be beneficial for pets with anxiety or attachment issues to have a companion. However, it's important to research the best dog breeds that get along well with cats.
Some breeds, such as terriers, sighthounds, and huskies, may not be a good match due to their strong prey drive.
On the other hand, spaniels, retrievers, bulldogs, Keeshonds, poodles, and Lhasa apsos are usually good choices for coexisting with kittens.